Re: [unrev-II] DKR/OHS: 5 Authoring Requirements

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:23:58 PST

From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
To: <unrev-II@onelist.com>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: [unrev-II] DKR/OHS: 5 Authoring Requirements

> From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
>
> Jack Park wrote:

If you look into the work of Brian Gaines, especially at
http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/ (which, at this moment, refused to open),
you will find projects like Sysiphis -- not sure I spelt that rightly, and
many others, most of which have underlying a notion of an ontology. This,
BTW, was one of the links you sent that I later corrected. Lots of papers
there.

Current favorite book is John F. Sowa Knowledge Representation (1999). I'd
also pay attention to the OML/CKML stuff on the web(which may be one of
those you sent). That appears to be category-theoretic in nature, quite
possibly capable of allowing for knowledge bases of the relational kind,
those capable of representing truly complex systems. To follow that idea
further, you might want to look up the many papers by Robert Rosen (see
http://views.vcu.edu/~mikuleck/rosen.htm), and back up to Don Mikulecky's
home page to get even deeper into discussions regarding knowledge
representation in truly complex domains. I like Rosen's book Life Itself.
Tough read, though. If you choose to go there, you're opening up what I
consider to be the pandora's box of everything Doug is talking about.

Cheers
Jack Park

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/966/0/_/_/_/951178868/