Re: [unrev-II] The perils of high technology... (fwd)

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:29:39 PST

    From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

    SlashDot today has a few comments regarding that article in relation to a
    web site on nanomedicine:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/03/12/0928201&mode=thread

    Perhaps of greater immediate peril to those of us building knowledge-based
    systems is the topic of this thread about a recent patent:
    http://technocrat.net/952758993/index_html
    and the patent is here:
    http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=US06031537__

    Jack Park
    > From: Jon Winters <winters@obscurasite.com>
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Found a story this morning on /. that is related to some of the things we
    > have been talking about...
    >
    > Found this in my morning news sweep. I'm looking forward to reading his
    > full 25 page article tomorrow. We covered the possibilities he mentions
    > in the bootstrap class that I have been taking.
    >
    > Checkit:
    > http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/2000-03/12/215l-031200-idx.html
    >
    > Now is the time to consider all theese issues so we can prevent an
    > accident in the future.
    >
    > A few suggestions that were made in our class were to make the self
    > replicating machines in such a way that they can only replicate in certain
    > controlled environments that do not exist in nature. (while being flooded
    > by X-rays for example) If replicators get released into the wild they will
    > die off in one generation.
    >
    > Mutants have me worried. Researchers are considering mutation and natural
    > selection so that nano machines can evolve and self optimize. Care must
    > be taken to prevent them from mutating the security measures mentioned
    > above.
    >
    > I remember reading some stuff written by Tom Ray that talked about letting
    > software mutate in the lab and then dis-abling its ability to reproduce
    > when it is time to harvest the program and put it to use.
    >
    > Can the same concepts be applied to Nanotech?
    > --
    > Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/
    > OpenVerse http://www.openverse.org/

    > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
    > Apply NOW!

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9%
    Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!