[unrev-II] Meeting Reminder -- Archimedes -- March 16

From: Neil Scott (ngscott@arch.stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 09:13:20 PST

    From: Neil Scott <ngscott@arch.stanford.edu>

    Hello everyone,

    This is a reminder about the meeting at the Archimedes Project on
    Thursday March 16.
    Date: March 16, 2000
    Time: 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    Place: Cordura Hall -- located at the corner of Campus Drive West and
    Panama St.
    Purpose: Establishing a Global Dynamic Knowledge Repository for
    information about technologies related to disability and aging.

    The goal of this meeting is to explore how we could demonstrate Doug's
    concepts of a DKR and bootstrapping in a neutral environment. The
    results of this activity could impact the lives of millions of people
    all around the world.

    We will begin the meeting with an overview of our user interface
    research and some hands-on demos and then have a discussion about how to
    set up a framework for global collaboration in this field

    RSVP: Neil Scott <ngscott@arch.stanford.edu> (Please email me if you
    need more instructions for finding Cordura Hall)
    You can see more about our project at http://archimedes.stanford.edu/

    Hope to see you Thursday

    Neil

    Here is a copy of the original message ----
    The Archimedes Project at Stanford developed the Total Access System
    (TAS) that Doug has referred from time-to-time. Originally conceived as
    a way to enable disabled and aging people to work with any computer
    based equipment, it is becoming recognized as a productivity tool that
    makes interacting with a computer easier for everyone. In 1997, Discover
    Magazine selected TAS as one of the five top innovations in computer
    engineering for 1997 in its Annual Discover Awards.

    During the past year we have been getting requests from universities and
    research centers around the world for help in setting up similar
    projects. This prompted us to establish an "Archimedes International"
    organization that will help groups in emerging countries become
    effective as quickly as possible. As part of these activities, we are
    proposing to build a global DKR about technologies related to
    disabilities and aging. We think this is an ideal opportunity to
    implement bootstrap principles. We see three primary goals in this
    process: (i) share existing knowledge, (ii) help participants to use
    this knowledge to create indigenous versions of current accessibility
    products, and (iii) involve the overseas participants as active partners
    in new research as quickly as possible.

    Achieving these goals will require strong collaborative tools on the Web
    and a DKR that works for different languages and Cultures.

    The Archimedes Project will host a meeting at Cordura Hall on March 16,
    4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. to introduce you to our research and try some
    hands-on demonstrations, and to discuss the possibility of developing a
    prototype DKR that will help disabled and aging populations around the
    world as well as the people who support them.

    Place: Cordura Hall -- located at the corner of Campus Drive West and
    Panama St.
    Purpose: Establishing a Global Dynamic Knowledge Repository for
    information about technologies related to disability and aging.

    RSVP: Neil Scott <ngscott@arch.stanford.edu>

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
    as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
    Apply NOW!