Re: [unrev-II] Hyperlinked Organizations

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 16:37:32 PST

    From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

    Jack Park wrote:

    > http://www.hyperorg.com/ an online "journal" for hyperlinked
    > organizations. Haven't studied either yet, but thought I'd pass this
    > along.

    The site looks like a nice marketing slant for a magazine geared towards
    internet companies.
    Some interesting tidbits, good for thought, but not a whole lot of meat.

    This page has their basic concept and some good graphics:
    http://www.hyperorg.com/manifesto.html.

    I disagree with their central tenet though. Designing help systems
    taught me to take
    into account the flexible reading order -- but the need for a superior
    logical (hierarchical)
    organization of the material was made even more paramount, rather than
    less, precisely
    because the user *could* jump around. Only a really well-structured
    system allows the
    jumping and yet retains a sense of organization. Otherwise, you get a
    confusing maze of
    nodes -- which pretty well describes the Web, at the moment.

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
    as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
    Apply NOW!