Re: [unrev-II] Upcoming Agenda Items

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 00:31:00 PDT

    1) Ideas for Use Case Scenarios
    Groupware and Corporate Repositories: A Proposal for Leveraging Intellectual
    Capital
    http://pangaro.com/proposals/corp-repos.html

    2) Ideas for Evaluations of "Starter Technologies"
    Essential Elements of an Open Hyperdocument System
    http://www.w3.org/Collaboration/EnglebartIOH.html

    Knowledge Management Research Project
    http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~joslyn/xerox/briefing.html

    Collaborators Needed
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/COLL.html

    XML repository and a relational repository
    http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~rocha/lww/XMLRep.html

    Gordon Pask's Conversational Architecture: THOUGHTSTICKER
    http://www.pangaro.com/published/thstr-and-me.html
    http://www.pangaro.com/THSTR-Brochure/THSTR-Brochure.html

    This software is still ahead of today's state-of-the-art because it combined
    multimedia browsers with a fine-grained model of the user's cognitive state
    in order to deliver an effective, one-to-one learning experience. It was
    incorporated into a large-scale training environment for a nuclear power
    utility, where it was connected to an expert system that diagnosed operator
    behavior and created personalized training for plant operators during
    emergencies.

    ... "Browsers Today: They may be ubiquitous, multi-media rich and
    standardized everywhere, but (I repeat) today's browsers do not have what
    Pask's entailments can bring to them: an organizing principle and the
    fine-grained, adaptive nature of a conversation. Browsers will continue to
    move to a meaning of "personalization" far closer to what Pask presaged and
    designed a substrate for, long before we knew we needed it. Commercial
    technology for authoring and annotation, now the focus of an emerging Web
    standard called WEBDav, similarly lacks the catalytic functions of
    THOUGHTSTICKER. Commercial technologies will continue to evolve and will
    move, I feel certain, toward what Conversation Theory could give them
    now."...

    3) Ideas for Roadmap
    Overview of Principia Cybernetica
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/NUTSHELL.html

    Table of Contents
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/TOC.html

    Futurology, Future Studies & Developing the Human Potential
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/FUTDEVLI.html

    The Social Superorganism and its Global Brain
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/SUPORGLI.html

    6) Ideas for Data Structures
    Bootstrapping Methods for Knowledge Structuring
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/KNOWSTRUC.html
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Papers/Pask-Bootstrapping.pdf

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Presentations
    > -------------
    > These are the presenations we currently have on the calendar.
    > * Werner Schaer, Software Productivity Consortium
    > (next meeting)
    > * Doug Englebart: Augment
    > (whenever ready)
    >
    > Topics
    > ------
    > This is the prioritized list of topics we generated at the last
    > meeting. [I've added one more at the end -- after the meeting
    > I realized that my major focus never got mentioned!]
    >
    > 1) Use Case Scenarios
    > Still very high level. What the people using the system
    > are going to be doing, how it is going to help them.
    > Doug is going to Washington in a month. This exercise
    > will help bring into focus the concrete benefits the
    > system will provide. (Since people can readily visualize
    > concrete benefits, this activity should help with the
    > funding effort.)
    >
    > 2) Evaluations of "Starter Technologies"
    > These are the early collaboration tools we may well want
    > to employ as we go about designing the next generation
    > system. We could build a starter system ourselves, but it
    > might make sense to use an existing tool for that purpose.
    > [Note: We need to get on to item 3 fast, for Doug's use
    > in Washington, so we may wind up dividing up the list
    > for evaluations in one meeting, then farming out the
    > highly-evaluated possibilities for evaluation by someone
    > else. So this item should be a fairly quick "report/
    > assign activity.]
    >
    > 3) Technology Roadmap
    > A development plan that shows what we intend to build long
    > term and the release stages we plan to go through to get
    > there.
    >
    > 4. Transcoding Vector
    > An in-depth evaluation of Doug's favored "get started"
    > option, using WBI to transcode existing documents.
    >
    > 5. Licensing and Business Model
    > How we are going to do things in a way that makes the results
    > available to humanity, yet provides the income necessary to
    > ensure continued development and concept-marketing (to
    > achieve widespread adoption of interoperating collaboration
    > technologies provided by a large number of vendors, with the
    > ultimate goal of augmenting (collaborative) human intelligence
    > on the shortest possible time scale.
    >
    > [Note: I'll post a possible licensing model in a subsequent
    > message.]
    >
    > 6. Data Structures [I added this one.]
    > Identifying the "atomic" structure (or structures) that can
    > be strung together to build the system. [I have some thoughts
    > on this. Not sure if I'll get them posted tonight, though.]

    > Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
    > To learn more click here:

    Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
    Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
    registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here: