Re: [unrev-II] Meeting Summary

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 21:05:11 PDT

    Two comments:
      a) That was "this week", not "this month".
      b) I neglected to mention that in the informal
         meeting, Su-Ying Lee and Joe Williams decided
         to collaborate on taping Doug's Augment
         presentation. That's going to be a big a help...

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > We had a rather good meeting at SRI this month.
    >
    > Highlights of the Formal Meeting
    > --------------------------------
    > This was the official meeting, held at SRI.
    >
    > * Joe Williams gave a high level "markety" overview
    > of the thing we are planning to build. There was
    > a strong general feeling that the picture he was
    > presenting was not accurate, but the style and sense
    > of focus was good. When *do* have an accurate
    > picture to portray, I suspect he'll summarize it
    > nicely.
    >
    > [One nice thing that came out of that presentation,
    > for me, was that it brought it into clearer focus
    > why I have been wrestling with data types. His desire
    > to identify the "fundamental information unit" of
    > the DKR made me realize that the real goal of the
    > data structure design I have been doing is to
    > (hopefully) identify one (or at most a few) "atomic
    > data structures" that can be strung together to make
    > everything else in the system. I think I may be
    > close (future email).]
    >
    > * Lee Iverson gave a great overview of use case
    > scenarios, describing the activities that actually
    > go on in a software development project. Since we
    > all agree that our initial target is to augment
    > open source development activities, his overview
    > (coming soon to a mailing list near you) provided
    > a good list of activities to start on.
    >
    > To anticipate Lee's email just a bit, he divided the
    > activities into 4 general scenarios:
    > a) The (primary) development activities that go on
    > before the product is released (designing, planning,
    > coding, documentation, etc.)
    > b) The (primary) development activities that go on
    > after a product is released (bug tracking,
    > suggestion lists, and enhancements).
    > c) "Breaking in" a new developer (choosing a bug to
    > work on, mining the code for rationales)
    > d) User activities (reading documentation, asking
    > questions)
    >
    > In an effort to prune the list down to the "first cut"
    > activities, it was observed that some of the activities
    > represented "formal language" processes, or "formal
    > processes". Those activities included project management,
    > coding, bug management, and testing. The rest of the
    > processes were "natural language" processes, which means
    > that the system which is effective for one is likely to
    > be effective for all of them.
    >
    > [My inclination is to counsel a sharp focus on those
    > activities, excluding the formal processes for the
    > moment. The only conceivable counter argument is that
    > the design really needs to take them into account, in
    > order to ensure future compatibility with those systems.
    > For some reason, my "gut feeling" is not to worry about
    > it -- but I want to leave the door open for alternative
    > views. It helps if we can restrict our focus, but...]
    >
    > * Doug is going to work with Lee Iverson to put together a
    > system he can use to demo Augment in the very near future.
    > Whenever that is ready, it will be item #1 on the agenda.

> [...]

    Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
    To learn more click here: