Re: [unrev-II] WBI cross platform?

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 18:43:14 PDT

    Ref. http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/transcoding.html

    IBM's WBI Transcoding Technology is currently being used to:

       * Deliver banking applications and services to WAP phones in Sweden.
         Handelsbanken, the largest Nordic bank, is using transcoding to extend its
         Internet banking service to a variety of mobile devices. The IBM Transcoding
         Technology transforms XML information into WML for presentation on WAP-enabled
         devices. In the first phase, market and personal stock information from the Web
         will be delivered via Nokia's and Ericssonīs new WAP-enabled smart media
         phones. Beginning early next year, the bank will roll out the interactive piece
         of the service, which will allow customers to access more information, like
         account overviews and balances, as well as actually initiate transactions, like
         transferring money and buying stocks.
       * Trade shares using mobile phones in Singapore. Fraser Securities in Singapore
         is teaming with SingTel Mobile, MacroVision Systems, and IBM to enable mobile
         e-trading. Mobile phone users can buy and sell stocks, cancel and amend orders,
         and receive stock price and volume alerts. The IBM Transcoding Technology
         converts data to WML format for transmission over SingTel Mobile’s wireless GSM
         digital network. Initially, the service is available on the Motorola V3688
         mobile phone.
       * Manage finances over mobile phones in Spain. Banesto Bank, a leading Spanish
         bank, is using IBM Transcoding Technology to let customers manage their
         personal account information and buy and sell stocks and shares using
         WAP-enabled smart phones.
       * Allow travelers to initiate flight changes and receive updates from airlines
         anywhere, anytime. The SABRE Group, IBM, and Nokia are collaborating to provide
         travel-related information to WAP-enabled devices, such as Nokia's 7110 WAP
         phone. The IBM Transcoding Technology transforms XML information into WML so it
         can be presented on the device. Because there may be more data than can be
         displayed on one screen, it is converted into a series of screens, analogous to
         a deck of cards. The user can scroll through these to access all the
         information in a meaningful way.