[unrev-II] Thoughts

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 14:35:38 PDT

    * At yesterday's meeting, the thought surfaced that we need
      to know what the other systems provide in the way of
      evaluation capabilities, for comparison with SlashDot.

    * Today, it occurred to me that, all things being equal,
      we should chose the system that is most "hackable" -- that
      is, the one with the most modular architecture and the
      most reasonable language for hacking in.

    * At the moment then, I'm inclined to rule out ArsDigita
      (Tcl) and SlashDot (Perl + installation process).

    * That leaves PHP/SlashDot and Zope. The questions as I
      see them are:
        * What kinds of evaluation mechanisms do they offer?
        * How good a language is PHP for our purposes, vs.
          Python?
        * Since PHP/SlashDot uses the Apache Server and Zope
          is a full server in its own right, how important is
          it for us to hack the server? Can we be fully non-
          denominational with respect to servers, or will we
          need to make important hacks to the server to
          implement the functionality we envision. (The former
          argues for PHP/SlashDot. The latter for Zope.)

    Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
    unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
    And, it's FREE!