Re: [unrev-II] Re: Towards an atomic data structure (Somuthing happened on the way to the forum)

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 16:51:46 PDT

    I sent this message in reponse to Gil Regev. Somehow it got cut out:

    In response:

    Loved your comment, Gil, and the humor that went with it. To be frank, I
    am not pleased with myself for having posted that item
    yesterday. It is so much easier to criticize than to build, isn't it? On
    the other hand, it may have been well I did it because of the central
    statement that the same message may very well fit one person's
    experience and not another.

    I found that, as far as I went in analyzing a document, that line after
    line appeared to be in conflict with how I sense things about
    language. That, basically, is what I wanted to bring out. I was groping
    for a mental entry into the argument presented and thus far failed
    to make it. I think that it is that conflict which caused me to revolt.

    I have difficulty perceiving language as some sort of a bitmap because
    its sources, thoughts, are not akin to bitmaps. They seem more
    like jpeg to me -- highly dynamic jpegs, that is. Putting thought into
    words cannot be, I believe, an accurate one-to-one process
    because the very uttering and structuring of words feeds back into
    thought, thereby altering it, and because language is less dynamic
    than thought. There is a freezing out process. Does this make language
    more tractably atomic than thought? And will it have an
    atomizing (structuring) effect on the thinking of the listener? And, if
    so, how effective, and for how long?

    As you can see, I am quite lost in this subject, as one may be sure are
    others. I guess, we just have to keep on trying as much as
    circumstances permit....

    H.

    Gil Regev wrote:

       To build on what Jack and Henry have been saying, in Women, Fire, and
    Dangerous Things, etc, etc
      The lesson: THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW, and just because

      another person doesn't see things the same way or understand the same

      way that you do, does not mean that it's wrong......