Re: [unrev-II] Thoughts

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 09:45:09 PDT

    It is truly hard to imagine how today's SlashDot thread:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/04/26/108242&mode=thread
    could have been nearly as useful and powerful were it just sent out as an
    email to subscribers. Take the time. Go read it yourself, without any hints
    from me with respect to its content.

    From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

    > Jon Winters wrote:
    > >
    > > As much as I love Slashdot I must
    > > admit that I check it once or twice a day and rarely reply to the
    > > stories. I'll submit news about once a month. OTOH I have spent a
    > > great deal of time reading almost every email on this list and I
    > > contribute almost every day. (often more than once per day)
    > >
    > That is a fundamental observation. In general, eMail is the right
    > interface -- because it is central to my daily activities, because
    > information comes to me instead of having to go searching for it, and
    > because the threading helps me organize things effectively.
    >
    > What it is missing is Slashdot functionality (wrt evaluations and the
    > capacity to ignore threads), editability, and Traction functionality
    > (wrt categories).
    >
    > Both systems are missing a good sense of hierarchy and view control.
    > Which is where we stand to make a serious contribution.
    >
    > But as Lee points out, a Zope/Squishdot system presents a lot of room
    > for hacking. *Especially* if we use some sort of Gnutella-enabled
    > "eMail" app,
    > so that additions and changes we make are broadcast either directly to
    > others, or perhaps sent to the server, where they are rebroadcast
    > (possibly after transcoding to replace user-specific node IDs with
    > global system IDs).
    >
    > So we might be able to make such a system behave like email. Even if it
    > takes a separate "email" app for now, it would still have the proper
    > behaviors.
    >
    > And Squishdot, being Squeak/Smalltalk based, strikes me as potentially
    > *very* hackable...

    High rates giving you headaches? The 0% APR Introductory Rate from
    Capital One. 9.9% Fixed thereafter!