[unrev-II] Open Service API

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 10:20:54 PDT

    I believe I have stated elsewhere on this list that I think the important issues are surrounded by something known as an Open API. So long as an API for DKR/OHS is described and open, then no matter how the system is implemented, it is available to all who would use its functionality.

    Doug has said that the system must be evolvable. That means that the API itself must be evolvable, though it is always best to start with the most robust candidate API before opening it up to all implementers -- release early, release often until you get it right.

    O'Reilly happens to have a paper that addresses this theme at:
    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-05-11-022-06-OS-CY

    My head hurts, too :-)