Re: [unrev-II] Chaordic organizations

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:01:52 PDT

    Paul,

    I would love to read a review of the book by you.

    This quote:
    "All organizations are merely conceptual embodiments of a very old, very
    basic idea -- the idea of community. They can be no more or less than the
    sum of the beliefs of the people drawn to them; of their character,
    judgments, acts, and efforts," Hock says. "An organization's success has
    enormously more to do with clarity of a shared purpose, common principles
    and strength of belief in them than to assets, expertise, operating ability,
    or management competence, important as they may be."
    from:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/online/05/dee3.html
    pretty much sums up what I think I see in Hock's ideas. If that is so, then
    it causes me to begin thinking about Unrev in this light. Doug has, indeed,
    catalyzed an organization of one sort or another. It strikes me that
    whatever the chaordic principles are, they must apply to us as well.

    We see a bit of the chaordic behavior (I'm not yet comfortable tossing that
    word around so much) in Doug himself. He has been reluctant to be much
    beyond a catalyst, and I suspect that is in some part behind the insider vs.
    outsider discussion that just went past us here. The insiders now have in
    Eugene someone who takes responsibility for meeting agendas and that itself
    appears to suit Hock's ideas. For me, the key words in the above quote are
    these:
    clarity of a shared purpose, common principles and strength of belief in
    them.

    It seems to me that the statement of shared purpose is precisely what that
    one paragraph summary has been all about.

    Indeed, it might just be a worth thread here to, say, map Hock's ideas into
    Eric's lead with IBIS.

    Say what?
    Jack