Re: [unrev-II] Breaking the Vicious Economic Cycle

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 14:57:41 PDT

    Paul Fernhout wrote:

    > Some relevant links on "Voluntary Simplicity":
    > http://www.awakeningearth.org/
    > http://www.awakeningearth.org/vsdescription.html
    > http://www.scn.org/earth/lightly/
    > The book by Duane Elgin is called: "Voluntary Simplicity:
    > Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich "

    More links to check.
    I looked up the book at Amazon, and found a number of related
    books, some of which look equally good. My reading list is
    now 25 years out... :_)

    It is interesing, I think that this an idea "whose time has
    come".

    BTW:
      I used to think I was brilliant, because I could predict
      the future. After a while, I figured out that I was a
      leading edge baby-boomer. Things going on in my life are
      typically echoed by the "big bulge" 5 or 6 years later...

    Hirohide Yamada wrote:

    > I believe we now need to seek communicational satisfaction
    > (relation) more directly in our activities. Children in
    > materially poor countries are so live because they are rich
    > in communication.

    Hmmm. I think that makes good sense. The Irish civilization I'll
    be visiting for the next two weeks is noted for the warm pub
    atmosphere -- rich in communication, as well as music.

    In fact, it seems that "sharing your artistic talent" is seen
    as practically an obligation in Irish society. (I know it shares
    that with some other cultures, but I'm not sure which ones.)

    I had an interesting experience that makes me thing it's true.
    I was standing in the hallway of an apartment complex that
    happens to have a dance studio, where I work with an Irish Dance
    troupe. I was working on some tin whistle tunes while waiting
    to go in. A lady walking by asked me to stop, because her
    apartment was right near by.

    I was fine with that, so I said "Sure". But *all* of the Irish
    folks standing nearby (some not all that long from Ireland)
    *immediately* said "Awwww", when I put it away. It was astonishing,
    in fact. Every single one of them felt that *other* person was
    somehow "morally wrong" for stopping the music. Me, I felt the
    opposite. But it highlighted a distinct difference in cultural
    style.

    Personally, I'm finding the music and dance get me out into
    contact with other people, and away from the TV. So I'm a big
    fan of it -- especially when one plays by ear, and can engage
    in a "musical conversation" with others.

    I look forward to finding other ideas from the links and books
    that Paul directed us to.

    Want insight into hot IPOs, investing strategies and stocks to watch?
    Red Herring FREE newsletters provide strategic analysis for investors.