[unrev-II] Augment + categories = OHS v0.1

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 22:00:44 PDT

    Eugene,

    Very powerful formulation and insight in your letter, leading to KM. Good to
    see progress on "knowledge" in the DKR. Eric has Traction in mind for
    categories on a "node." I am not sure what is intended by a "node," but all of
    us appreciate the advantage of identifying structure in daily information like
    a letter, article, meeting notes, research paper, legal brief, etc. Of course
    there is always structure in human thought, but typically it occurs at too low a
    level to be cost effective to capture at the conscious span of attention, before
    heading to the next meeting, phone call or going home.

    Sounds like you are solving this KM dilemma with Augment + categories. Using
    Traction and other starter technologies as a model, provides a solid foundation
    for an OHS that leads directly to DKR.

    Suggest consideration be given to having Eric, Jack or someone, perhaps Traction
    can come back, to explain the process of developing and managing categories,
    similar to Jack's letter on 000221 concerning "ontology"....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/02/21/113701.HTM#7455

    Great start on a big leap forward for the project today.

    Rod

    Eugene Eric Kim wrote:

    > Based on the discussions we had at our meeting today and some of the
    > discussions afterwards with Eric, Howard and others, I came up with the
    > following conclusions.
    >
    > Fundamentally, our system consists of two things: nodes and links. The
    > difference between our system and the previous two revisions of Doug's
    > work is that our system allows us to categorize nodes. Categorizing nodes
    > is crucial, because it provides an additional semantic layer that is
    > crucial for knowledge management. Both the users of the system and the
    > system itself can take advantage of this additional layer.
    >
    > For example, in order to adapt our system to accomodate IBIS-style
    > discussions, we add categories such as "question," "answer," and
    > "alternatives." With this information, we can search for all the
    > questions pertaining to a particular topic of discussion. Or, we can
    > write a system module that automatically compiles and presents an IBIS
    > view based on the current question and answer nodes.
    >
    > Categorizing nodes allows us to provide some structure to discussion, even
    > if the discussion itself is unstructured. For example, if we're trying to
    > come up with a Use Cases document for a piece of software, I may propose
    > five different Use Cases in three different e-mails. However, if these
    > nodes are properly categorized in each node, then I can easily create a
    > Use Cases view that shows all of the Use Cases in one view, regardless of
    > when or where these were proposed.
    >
    > I think there's still one open question that needs to be resolved for
    > version 0.1 of the OHS. That question is, are links categorizable? This
    > relates to some of Eric's previous questions regarding relationships. In
    > my opinion, a link is the way you represent a relationship. The question
    > is, should you be able to specify categories for a link.
    >
    > My suspicion is yes. Even if this doesn't immediately affect system
    > behavior, I think it is a useful attribute to have in the data
    > structure. In Gil's Knoware, which he demonstrated last week, you can
    > label relationships, but those labels have no meaning. However, it should
    > be fairly easy to give those labels meaning in the system in the future,
    > which is one of the things Gil said he planned on doing. I see no reason
    > why we shouldn't take the same approach.
    >
    > -Eugene
    >
    > --
    > +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    > | "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they |
    > +===== can have an excuse to drink alcohol." --Steve Martin ===========+

    Want insight into hot IPOs, investing strategies and stocks to watch?
    Red Herring FREE newsletters provide strategic analysis for investors.