[unrev-II] Re: Platform for OHS

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 05:56:22 PDT

    Although on the one hand I am not sufficiently qualified to respond to
    Jack's note on this subject, on the other I don't wish to risk that the
    OHS team is overlooking something that may turn out to be really
    worthwhile. So, with trepidation, may I call your attention to the Be
    operating system that runs on Intel CPUs? It is of recent vintage,
    available for free, may be run independently or off Windows. Built from
    the ground up it is said to be the fastest thing on the market. The BeOS
    is multi-threaded, multi-tasking and mutli-processing. Excellent file
    protection properties. Programmers, such as the people who wrote
    Clarisworks for the Mac, tell me it is a delight to program for. Once in
    your hands, it can be installed in no time flat.

    Specifications may be found here:
    http://www.be.com/products/freebeos/beosspecs.html

    There is a special version for Internet appliances, BeIA.

    Disadvantage at present time: though it has a browser, something of
    Netscape caliber is not yet available for it. But perhaps one may expect
    convergence in time while OHS development is going on.

    Their address:
    Be, Inc.
    800 El Camino Real, Suite 400
    Menlo Park, CA 94025

    Phone:
    voice: (650) 462-4100
    fax: (650) 462-4129

    Their CEO:
    Jean-Louis Gassée
    jlg@be.com

    Developer support for non-code related questions:
    - Americas & Pacific: devservices@be.com
    - Europe: devsupport@beeurope.com
    and for code-related questions:
    - Americas & Pacific: Please use the online form. [*]
    - Europe: devsupport@beeurope.com

    I apologize if I am off the mark.

    Henry