Re: [unrev-II] Patents and licenses

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 15:38:04 PDT

    Sold me. But what do I know?

    If the folks what matter buy it, I'm behind you 100%.
    If not, never heard of ya...

    :_)

    Seriously:
      I was inclined towards the MPL based on business
    strategy. And then it sounded like it went even further
    on patent protection. So MPL sounded like the winner
    to me.

      Who do we lose if the GPL option is not present?
    And what does it cost us in confusion, if people have
    to pick which license they plan to use. Does it make
    that much harder for someone to try?

      BTW: Does the license come into play when someone
    uses the system, or only when they download source
    code? I'd prefer the latter. If the former, is there
    even simpler "license to use" we can provide for
    people who don't want to look at the source code?
    (The license you sign would then depend on which
    bundle you download.)

    In Europe, more than 219 million people will access Internet services
    using mobile phones by 2003, according to Forrester Research.
    Learn Wireless Development on