RE: [unrev-II] Knowledge Representation

From: Gil Regev (gil.regev@epfl.ch)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 07:29:06 PDT

    Hi Jack,

    Thanks for the explanation on evolutionary programming. I'll need to think
    about the implications for a while before I can do anything with it.

    >While speaking of knowledge, I spent my vacation reading Lakoff&Johnson's
    latest book _Philosophy in the Flesh_ which is all
    >about *embodied knowledge*, and, of course, metaphorical thinking. They
    make a very convincing case that knowledge must be
    >embodied--it must exist in human experience; that, of course, supports the
    case you make below. It strongly suggests that
    >where we are really heading with an OHS/DKR is a well-groomed library,
    search engine, and collaborative tool. Topic Maps meet
    >Microsoft Office, I suppose. Thus, given a rather convincing case by L&J,
    perhaps our use of Knowledge Representation really
    >involves encodings of information that we turn into knowledge when needed.
    That, of course, leads directly to all this semiotics
    >stuff of C.S. Peirce. He spent a lot of time thinking about how humans use
    signs and create meaning from them.

    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know Lakoff had a new book. I do agree with the
    notion of embodied knowledge. This is why I don't like terms such as
    knowledge management because it seems to imply that machines can manage
    knowledge. On the other hand I think that the OHS/DKR can be more than just
    a well groomed library. It can be proactive in the sense that it can suggest
    readings and links that are not necessarily obvious to users. One example is
    an agent that goes hunting for information on you behalf and pre-categoirzes
    that information for you. You can see an implementation of this concept
    (ClusterBot) at the Observatory of the University of the Future, OEUF in
    French, http://sgwww.epfl.ch/UF. The site is mixed French and English. It
    was done in our lab by René Berger and Francis Lapique. Notice that we also
    linked Doug's 1968 presentation video.

    Another example is for the DKR to propose links between information pieces
    based on a continuous search within (and outside) the knowledge repository.

    >My work on the Topic Maps committee is all about giving users the ability
    to create views to suit their own needs. That's just a
    >start on the matter. Now, for instance, Mozilla lets you make your browser
    look and feel like you would prefer it to look and feel.
    >Tiny steps. An enormous fitness landscape we are traversing.

    That looks interesting. I need to take a better look at Topic Maps...

    Let's keep this thread alive.

    Gil