Re: [unrev-II] Poetry and Knowledge Management (was Jack's Use Case)

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 19:09:43 PDT

    Paul Fernhout wrote:

    > On Poetry vs. Fine-grained Meaning in Knowledge Management, etc.

    Looks like a good essay to me.

    My own mind has been shaped or warped, whatever the case may be, by Bloom's
    Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain published in 1958 and, I understand, still
    used as a guide by educators. To emphasize, it is not a theory of knowledge,
    just a, well, taxonomy.

    The Cognitive Domain
    --------------------
    Knowledge:
    - Knowledge of specifics
    - - Knowledge of terminology
    - - Knowledge of specific facts
    - Knowledge of ways and means of dealing with specifics
    - - Knowledge of conventions
    - - Knowledge of trends and sequences
    - - Knowledge of classification and categories
    - - Knowledge of criteria
    - - Knowledge of methodology
    - Knowledge of the universals and abstractions in a field
    - - Knowledge of principles and generalizations
    - - Knowledge of theories and structures
    ----------
    Comprehension
    - Translation
    - Interpretation
    - Extrapolation
    ----------
    Application
    ----------
    Analysis
    - Analysis of elements
    - Analysis of relationships
    - Analysis of organizational principles
    ----------
    Synthesis
    - Production of a unique communication
    - Production of a plan, or proposed set of operations
    - Derivation of a set of abstract relations
    ----------
    Evaluation
    - Judgement in terms of internal evidence
    - Judgement in terms of external criteria
    --------------------

    Nowhere in this classification is a form of knowledge or use of knowledge tied
    to a single word. To the contrary. Knowledge of generalizationd and
    principles, for example, imply items of knowledge that call for descriptive
    sentences or paragraphs.

    Interestingly, whereas Paul talks about communication between parties with
    attendant drifts in meaning due to different ambiant knowledge structures in
    the sender and receiver, there is nothing in this tabulation to reflect on
    that. (But maybe the work by Bloom et al as a whole does, which may be
    worthwhile checking out.)

    I need to verify details, but from recollection I understand that Claude
    Shannon measured in some way that there is about 30 % redundancy in ordinary
    English communications, an excess verbage that serves somewhat like a qwerty
    keyboard, to slow things down a bit so as to permit the receiver to tune into
    and accomodate the sender's intended meaning. Again: extra words. Conversely,
    one might say that a message (information, knowledge ?) is found within a
    stream of signals with some degree of randomness.

    But don't take my word for it. Check out a small text by Shannon and Wheeler
    about this. Sorry, I haven't got the title.

    Henry

    eLerts