Re: [unrev-II] Plan for HyperScope-OHS launch and development

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 07:59:50 PST

    Rod,

    As always, I really love to dive into your web site. You are correct in
    pointing out that I probably meant to say _against_ rather than _toward_. I
    probably did.

    You said:
    Software engineers want to work on interesting
    491730 - technology; but, KM is not interesting, because there isn't
    enough
    491731 - knowledge.

    I recall letting that line of reasoning go without comment when it started.
    I do recall the meeting at SRI -- not, BTW: an SRI meeting, but a DKR
    meeting held at SRI -- in which the notion that there isn't enough knowledge
    regarding KM; Eric stated something akin to that when he said _he_ didn't
    know enough about it in one of his Unrev2 posts.

    I do not believe that I know enough about KM, but I do not consider myself
    one who believes that there isn't enough knowledge *out there* on which to
    begin a learning exercise. In fact, there may be far too much knowledge out
    there. Sorting through it all is the tough part.

    We have choices. We can appeal to the philosophers in search of some
    *roots* on which to layer our efforts. We can follow other, so called
    *failed* efforts (Notes, according to your records), or we can just go off
    and invent our own and see if that *fails* as well. I, speaking personally,
    am inclined to learn as much about pragmatic thinking by way of C.S. Peirce
    as I can, with the thought that this might provide sufficient roots to get
    started.

    What is happening here is that we are, IMHO, ignoring the teachings of the
    one individual who might just know more about the topic than we do, Doug.
    Case in point: I suspect that the SRI meetings seduced us into believing
    that *we* would just start out and design and build an OHS all by ourselves.
    That effort culminated in the meeting at which folks began to conjecture
    that there isn't enough knowledge to do KM, even when you were sitting in
    the same meeting and you had been doing it for umpteen years. Gads.

    We continue to confuse the notion of *Open Source Software* with the notion
    of homebrew software. I do not believe (though I could be wrong) that Doug
    ever had any notion of homebrew software. His goal, near as I can tell, was
    and remains to create a body of software that is *Open Source*, and that has
    a radically different and specific meaning from the notions of free software
    that is hacked by thousands of individuals the world over, even though those
    projects do, indeed, result in open source products. It appears, at least to
    me, that a professionally managed project in which contributors receive
    compensation for software development is a greatly different project than
    one managed and built by volunteers.

    We must insulate ourselves from ruminations of those who write proposals for
    research funding and who need to play down some field as a justification for
    further exploration of it or to bias the thinking of others. I make no
    statements of fact here, just the sweeping generalization that our biases
    occasionally can be driven by needs other than those related to purely
    intellectual interests.