Re: [unrev-II] Re: Tuesday's meeting

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 15:11:57 PST

    Ah. Reply works fine now. Strange that it wouldn't work before.
    I can see HTML file...

    Do those terms make sense to you? Sure wish you had been there
    at the design meetings so we could start using the terms
    consistently.

    It's hell trying to figure out how to reconstruct umpteen hours
    of discussion using different terms than the ones we carried on
    the discussion with...

    Adam Cheyer wrote:

    > Just for fun, I called Doug to see if he could shed light on the
    > definitions
    > of these terms. Here's what I got:
    >
    > Hyperdocument: "The knowledge container. No one says it has to be a
    > file,
    > any container."
    >
    > Dynamic Knowledge Repository: "The handbook, the conversations and
    > annotations,
    > the contents. Dynamically up to date representing the state of
    > the
    > repository.
    > If you want more depth, you can trace back and find the evolution
    > of
    > that in
    > the record."
    >
    > OHS : "A toolset with the structure and properties of the knowledge
    > containers plus the functions that you can execute on them,
    > including
    > viewing,
    > traveling, linking, editing, etc. Includes auxilliary languages,
    > compilers, tools,
    > user interface. Does not include the contents of documents
    > itself,
    > only how you structure and operate on them."
    >
    > HyperScope: "Part of the OHS, that you can implement early and get
    > immediate
    > utility in the context of legacy files. As it evolves to add
    > more
    > features
    > (e.g. backlinking, editing), it becomes a bigger part of the
    > OHS."
    >
    > OHS to me now seems almost like the term "MS Windows", which contains
    > the
    > operating
    > system, the look and feel, the philosophy, as well as a set of
    > included
    > tools such
    > as the web browser or media player. But it appears OHS does not
    > represent
    > the content
    > of the knowledge repository or containers (documents).
    >
    > Doug was thrilled to be asked about it and was happy that we are
    > having
    > dialogs
    > about this because he emphasized how working through terms is an
    > essential
    > part
    > of cooperative knowledge work.
    >
    > -- Adam