Re: [unrev-II] The very medal

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 03:07:28 PST

    Thanks, Eric.

    At this point, proper covention calls for me to slightly blush and modestly
    shut up. But there is something important at stake here and that is to keep
    the fundamental background design of our web pages as simple as possible.
    That means to only introduce those elements (of the html, of visual design,
    of content) needed for functional reasons (e.g. color cosing of dates above
    titles of articles).

    In your specific reference, opportunity knocked when I saw the picture of
    the medal. The classic "law of moments" got just pushed into my hands and no
    complex design (such as that of CNN pages) stood in the way.

    More importantly, simple design permits (a) faster changes when called
    for.and (b) faster working routines and automation. For example, the simpler
    our set-up, the easier for anyone to take over the webmaster's job when the
    time comes, perhaps suddenly. And the easier for a good soul to come up with
    a script for more rapidly doing the "funny purple numbers," which are all
    done now tediously by hand. Finally, it ought to make it easier, if and when
    opportunity comes our way, to raise the level of web-page scripting and
    morphing the site into a DKR/OHS combo.

    In short, just trying to remain prepared for harvesting the fruits of future
    evolution.

    H.

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > This is a SWEET looking page.
    > The screen shot of early Doug, along with the medal,
    > is inspired.
    >
    > Henry van Eyken wrote:
    > >
    > > A picture of the National Medal of Technology appears on the Bootstrap
    > >
    > > website's new home page,
    > > http://www.bootstrap.org
    > >
    > > Enjoy.
    > >
    > > H.