Re: [unrev-II] Seeking definition for "DOM"

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 20:25:30 PST

    In simple terms, a DOM is "Document OBJECT model".
    It's a tree-structured hierarchy of objects that
    comprise a document.

    That's probably all you want for the glossary.
    On the other hand...

    ...I have serious quarrels with what the w3c
    chose to consider as an object, and the way the
    tree is structured. (It's a nightmare to process.)

    The Java version of DOM (JDOM) put together by
    Jason Hunter and friends is a true OBJECT model,
    where each object corresponds to an element
    (xml tag). The "objects" in a DOM are much lower
    level -- every attribute, bit of text, CDATA
    section, and processing instruction is a separate
    object, that hang from "element objects", that
    are hardly deserving of the name. The resulting
    tree is a mass of complexity, without much of
    object-oriented grace to reccommend it.

    On the other hand, the very simplicy of that
    structure makes it easy to process in non-object
    oriented languages. So my qualms are not with
    the structure, but with calling it a Document
    OBJECT Model. "Document Structure" would have
    been a more fitting and appropriate name, in
    my book.