Re: [unrev-II] More on GZigZag

From: N. C a r r o l l (ncarroll@inreach.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 11:20:23 PST

    Jack:

    [snip]

    > "ZigZag is a way of representing the structure of information. Compared with
    > the previous ways, ZigZag is very different, for example the concepts of
    > 'file', 'folder' and 'application' are abandoned. Because of this a bit of
    > fantasy, creativity and an ability to forget previous knowledge is needed in
    > order to understand ZigZag.

    Interesting stuff. Are there screenshots posted anywhere?

    > A ZigZag structure consists of cells and dimensions. A cell is the basic
    > unit of information of a ZigZag structure. Cells containing related
    > information are connected with each other along dimensions, the number of
    > which is infinite. A ZigZag structure is separate from its visualisation (=
    > the way the data is presented on the screen), which means that a ZigZag
    > structure can have many visualisations designed for different purposes.

    There are lots of people doing interesting things with visualization:
    lattices, topographies, etc. Far from "killing the hierarchy for once
    and for all" (I suspect hierarchies will survive quite well), what
    really interests me for OHS is a data structure that accommodates
    many views -- without a bunch of gymnastics at the middleware level.

    N.