Re: [unrev-II] Darwin Solves the Frame Problem

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 20:59:12 PST

    Yes, Eric, you are right on. The book goes into the neural mechanism (which
    is a bootstrapper's delight). As for your second post, I just bought the
    book off the shelf. The hardcover edition was first published in 1999, the
    paperback in 2000.

    As said, I am still reading the book, but I kind of sense that it may
    influence your thinking or presentation of your thesis, which precipitated
    the post. An additional objective for recommending the book is that it
    brings together some good insights into fundamental differences between
    electronic and neural computing. If we are to augment the human mind, we
    probably will learn to do so better the better we understand that mind.
    (Yes, I was looking at your post with glasses colored by my interest.)

    Let me go on a bit more, besides addressing the particulars of your post. I
    believe that our site ought be due attention to both the human and the tool
    side of things. And this ought include other tools for augmentation besides
    augment/OHS. I am discussing this with Doug. Among our obstacles, as I see
    them, are that the permanence of the site is not assured, and that we are
    awfully thin on personnel. Also, me going on to 74, we must look at
    succession, which, it seems to me, ought be a managed team of diverse
    competences (subjects, communications, dkr building).

    Doug's objective is to boost mankind's collective capability for coping with
    complex, urgent problems. Some of these may come with a "frame problem"
    attached. I am personally inclined to move back a bit from the objective of
    humans surviving toward the objective of a better informed (computent)
    citizenship, which would improve the democratic functioning of our society.
    The ideal democracy would be a pinnacle reachable by many. many small steps,
    all doable. Just hope that the bomb of your thought experiments does not put
    a stop to this.

    Henry

    eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
    Click here for more details