Re: [unrev-II] Ontology Translation

From: Bernard Vatant (universimmedia@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 01:37:38 PST

    Eric

    When ontologies are represented as a Topic Map,
    both "your ontology" and the "other ontology", you should be able to either
    :

    - make the name in your ontology the display name and base name to the
    topic, and the "name in the other" as another name
    - use URIs of subjects in the other ontology as occurrences of your own
    subjects
    - merge your topic map with the other one, on the basis of agreement on
    subjects. That's tricky, and points to the crucial problem of Subject
    Indicators I'm working on at present time.

    OTOH, if you don't like an ontology, it's basically that it's not really
    translatable into yours, because even if you agree on topic names and
    subjects, you don't agree necessarily on the hierarchies and role types.
    e.g. I think "freedom of speech" is a condition for "democracy", but you
    think "democracy" is a condition for "fredom of speech".
    What shall we do? The only way I see to align our ontologies is we'll both
    agree to refer to the same forum where the subject "democracy and freedom
    of speech" is discussed.

    my topic map true believer 0.02

    Yours

    Bernard