[unrev-II] Peer to Peer and Email...

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 14:09:52 PST

    I believe this system has come up for discussion before.
    But as I've had occasion to take a closer look, I thought
    I'd share these comments from the Grooves pdf file:

    "When one looks at the most popular uses of the
    Internet in general, it is readily apparent that
    email far outdistances Web browsing and electronic
    commerce. In survey after survey, email remains
    the primary driver of Internet use and adoption.
    It is no wonder then, that the most widespread use of
    Internet peer computing is not music- or file-swapping,
    but rather instant messaging."

    "Innovative, standalone peer computing tools such as Napster and
    gnutella may indeed represent the ‘thin edge of the wedge’ that
    will open up into an entirely new dimension of computing. If so, we
    can expect the next phase of this trend to unveil a general purpose
    platform – like the desktop operating system or the Web server –
    upon which a wide variety of applications can be built and
    deployed."

    "Groove is a virtual space for small group interaction. The
    Groove transceiver – the “space” in which you work -- includes
    capabilities that lend themselves to natural and intuitive group
    interactivity. These include communication media (live voice over
    the Internet, instant messaging, text-based chat, and threaded
    discussion)..."

    "Each Groove shared space is stored locally, on the computers
    of each of the members of the shared space. When one member
    adds something new to the space, that change is reflected on
    everyone’s machine..."

    "If a member has disconnected from the Internet, Groove
    .... saves all the member’s content and changes locally.
    When the member reconnects, all of his changes and additions
    are sent to all other members. In turn, all changes other
    members have made ... are immediately sent to the reconnected
    member’s space as well."

    "Never have to save. Every change made in Groove – every
    keystroke, line drawn, gesture – is stored right away in
    Groove’s XML storage system."

    "Multiple computers. Many people will use Groove with a
    desktop, a laptop, a home machine, a work machine, etc.
    Users do not need to manually keep each of them synchronized:
    Groove automatically keeps the content of all spaces on all
    machines in synch." (Talk about a GODSEND...)

    "Flexibility and adaptability. As a member of a shared space,
    whenever any user needs or wants additional functionality, he
    can add it from a more extensive selection of tools, developed
    by Groove Networks and its partners (and/or by in-house
    developers) available on groove.net."

    "XML Object Store. All content and activities are stored locally on
    the user’s device in Groove’s XML object store. By using an object
    store instead of an XML file system, Groove improves system
    performance. In addition, Groove compresses the XML content for
    efficiency."

    "Groove’s innovative peer connection services automatically
    and transparently cross firewalls and network address
    translators so that users never need to go through special
    steps to set up a shared space."