Re: [unrev-II] Candidate collaboratory for getting started.

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 04:23:06 PST

    Jack:

    This site (KMI) certainly fascinates me. We see here an integration of knowledge
    management and learning along the full gamut of R&D and application. One wonders
    how the work of Bootstrap volunteeras and SRI may fit in or relate to all this.
    There seems to be a lot of experience and momentum there. The D3E format for
    publishing on the Internet does seem a bit bewildering at first sight, but still
    seems to be worth considering. (If only I could cope with the explosion of
    things to be comprehended.)

    Have you also seen "The Rhetoric of a Rhetoric Website: Inquiry, Pedagogy, and
    Scholarship" by Gideon O. Burton?
    Quoting from its abstract: "In order to serve the multiple purposes of inquiry,
    pedagogy, and scholarship, certain basic rhetorical concepts must be closely
    observed within the web environment, including arrangement and delivery
    organization and presentation of information), and audience (addressing both
    specialized and general audiences imultaneously). This requires a familiarity
    with those features of web design, access, and promotion that can enhance or an
    detract from each of these purposes. Attending to those rhetorical principles
    and features can lead to the most roductive exposure of web information, can
    improve the usefulness of web information for teaching purposes, and can
    promote the professional validation of scholarly web publication. Research,
    teaching, and scholarship should have a oductive and dynamic inter-relationship,
    and the creation of an academic website can significantly aid that relationship
    if the properties of this medium are understood and respected "

    The addressing both specialized and general audiences simultaneously is
    precisely what we are struggling with on this website. This in addition to
    simultaneously addressing
    a. Augmentation tools (computers) and what they are intended to augment (minds),
    and
    b. Specific tool development (i.q. OHS) and its application to complex, urgent
    societal problems on a world scale.

    I am overwhelmed to the point of impotency by the impossibly huge smorgasbord of
    things to evaluate and apply (and often wish that more agile minds would take
    the Bootstrap webmaster's job over from me). Maybe the work at the Open
    University's Knowledge Media Institute offers a way out. Sigh.

    Henry