Re: [unrev-II] Fwd: Fw: Re: [PORT-L] Goguen's Semiotic Morph isms

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 15:50:24 PDT

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Modal logic (couldBe, willBe, etc), conceptual drift, a lot of the
    > things you mention here are indeed important to the work of an
    > OHS-like system.

    I'm afraid this observations leads me right back to wondering,
    what in the heck is an OHS? If something "OHS-like" contains
    mechanisms for modal logic, et al, then an "OHS" is a heck of
    a lot more than I had conceived it to be.

    I'd be a lot more comfortable if we could distinguish things
    like:
      * DKR -- Dynamic Knowledge *Repository*
      * DKE -- Dynamic Knowledge Engine
               (where I would see modal logic, etc.)
      * OHS -- Open HyperDocument System.
               Precursor to, but not sufficient for, a DKR.
      * OCS -- Open Collaboration System
               Possibly, but not necessarily, built on an OHS.

    That's an off-the-cuff depiction of basic things I *think*
    we have been mingling together in our discussions.

    Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
    Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
    Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/IaAVlB/TM