Re: [unrev-II] OHS needs to be personal

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 18:45:48 PDT

    "Garold L. Johnson" wrote:

    > In thinking about the nature of collaboration and knowledge
    > organization, I have come to the conclusion that an OHS has to
    > be usable by a single individual for personal knowledge
    > organization and thinking if it is to be truly useful.

    Yay!!!!
    (In case there is any doubt, I agree.)

    > I can’t (easily) reference other information I might have, or other
    > emails in this discussion.

    Yeah.

    > While there is an outline mode, it is rather primitive and doesn’t
    > provide any support for accessing other information.

    Yup.

    > ...if I have to use a different tool to collaborate via an
    > OHS than (the one) I use to organize my own thoughts, ideas, and
    > information, then there is a barrier to collaboration that I think
    > is unnecessary.

    And so counterproductive as to make it difficult to use.

    > Therefore, I believe that for an OHS to be successful in the sense of
    > being well and continually used, it must scale from my personal use up to
    > whatever larger collaborations I support.

    Yes, yes, and yes.

    > I want to be able to use the same tool that I use to support knowledge
    > collaboration to manage my own personal information on my own personal
    > machine without requiring external servers or any other
    > infrastructure. I should be able to synchronize the various places
    > that I create information – home, work, a laptop, a PDA or palm
    > computer, etc.

    And *integrate* the information you connect with by virtue of
    interacting
    with knowledge spaces shared by groups you associate with.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
    Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
    "Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/KVNB7A/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/IaAVlB/TM