[unrev-II] Fwd: Argumentation Mapping Update 2001.2

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 12:24:10 PDT

    There is no end of interesting stuff related to IBIS-like thinking to be
    found in the various pages referenced here.
    Jack

    >Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:22:18 -0600
    >To: gbrain@listserv.vub.ac.be, pcp-discuss@lanl.gov
    >From: Cliff Joslyn <joslyn@lanl.gov>
    >Subject: Fwd: Argumentation Mapping Update 2001.2
    >Sender: owner-gbrain@listserv.vub.ac.be

    >>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:32:01 -0700
    >>To: listrh@yahoo.com
    >>From: info <info@macrovu.com>
    >>Subject: Argumentation Mapping Update 2001.2
    >>
    >>ARGUMENTATION MAPPING
    >>UPDATE Issue
    2001.2
> [...]

    >>begins to provide the depth that hypertext on the web offers.
    >>
    >>3. THE TOPIC OF THIS INNOVATION -- PART OF THE CONSCIOUSNESS MAP
    >>The web portion is from map 6--"Do Computers Have to Be Conscious to
    >>Think?" If you look at the maps on the web, you will see two regions of
    >>the map outlined in heavy red lines. These are:
    >>(1) the debates about "Can Computers be Conscious?" and
    >>(2) the functionalism debates "Can Functional States Generate
    >>Consciousness?"
    >>
    >>Clicking there will enable you to view a total of 31 major "moves" in the
    >>argument -- claims, rebuttals and counterrebuttals. They are presented
    >>in detail both in map form and in individual in-depth "source" pages that
    >>are hyperlinked.
    >>
    >>FOR A LOOK AT THESE MULTIPLE LEVELS OF THE CONSCIOUSNESS MAP, START AT
    >>THIS WEB PAGE:
    >><http://www.macrovu.com/CCTHowItWork1.html>
    >>
    >>4. REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK -- ARE ARGUMENTATION MAPS BETTER ON THE WEB?
    >>Many students, teachers, and researchers have commented on the large size
    >>of the maps (They are 3 x 4 feet in size) and have suggested to us that
    >>our whole enterprise might be better on the web. So we decided to try
    >>the experiment first announced in this newsletter. Others have already
    >>noted that the web versions do not provide the ease of seeing the overall
    >>structure of the arguments provided by the paper versions. We'd like
    >>your ideas and feedback on this experiment.
    >>
    >>SEND US AN EMAIL AT: info@macrovu.com
    >>
    >>5. VITAL NAVIGATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
    >>Our own view is that this form of argumentation maps on the web provide
    >>an important navigational infrastructure for understanding the emergence
    >>of a philosophical subject matter and its intellectual
    >>history. With our website you can begin to envision how the depth of
    >>the unfolding of debates on the cutting edges of different disciplines
    >>and interdisciplinary issues can be summarized and mapped.
    >>
    >>IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS PROJECT, SEND US AN EMAIL
    >>AT: hornbob@earthlink.net
    >>
    >>5. NEXT -- LINK TO FULL TEXT SOURCES
    >>The obvious next step in this enterprise is to have the individual claims
    >>linked to not only the quote pages that we have provided, but also to the
    >>full text of the original sources. You can view an example of this by
    >>clicking on the Turing claim on Map 6. The link will take you to the
    >>full text of Alan Turing's 1950 article in "Mind" which is on the web at
    >>the Dartmouth College Philosophy Department site. We are seeking funds
    >>to enable us to do the full linking of maps-to-full text on the web for
    >>our mapping project.
    >>
    >>6. ART AND SCIENCE COMBINED
    >>We were especially delighted that during the course of one year our
    >>Mapping Great Debates Series received both a full page review in one of
    >>the top science magazines in the world, Nature, and was also hung as part
    >>of a fine arts exhibit in the Hague at the Stoom Center for the Visual
    Arts.

    >>FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
    >>Information Design Exhibit at Stroom Center for the Visual Arts
    >><www.stroom.nl>
    >>
    >>The Representation of Meaning--Information Design as a Practical Art and
    >>a Fine Art
    >><http://www.stanford.edu/~rhorn/VLbkSpeechMuralsTheHague.html>
    >>
    >>7. OTHER LINKS ON OUR PROJECT'S WORK
    >>
    >>REVIEWS OF MAPPING GREAT DEBATES SERIES
    >>Metzinger, Thomas , Review of Mapping Great Debates
    >>PSYCHE, Official journal of the Association for the Scientific Study of
    >>Consciousness, 5(30), December 1999
    >><http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v5/psyche-5-30-metzinger.html>
    >>
    >> Chandler, Joseph, Review of Mapping The Great Debates in the
    >> Philosophers' Magazine
    >><http://www.philosophers.co.uk/current/mapping.htm>
    >>
    >>NEW SCIENTIST ARTICLE
    >>To read a feature article on Robert E. Horn's work: Holmes, Robert,
    >>Beyond Words ,New Scientist, 163, 2194, July 10,
    >>1999 <http://www.newscientist.com/ns/19990710/beyond.html>

    >>Editor and Publisher: Robert E. Horn, visiting scholar, Stanford
    University
    >>Please share the Argumentation Mapping Update with your friends and
    >>colleagues; we ask only that you keep the fine print attached:
    >>Entire contents copyright 2001 R.E. Horn
    >
    >----
    >O------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    >| Cliff Joslyn, Member of the Technical Staff (Cybernetician at Large)
    >| Distributed Knowledge Systems and Modeling Team
    >| Modeling, Algorithms, and Informatics Group (CCS-3)
    >| Los Alamos National Laboratory, Mail Stop B265, Los Alamos NM 87545 USA
    >| joslyn@lanl.gov http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~joslyn (505) 667-9096
    >V All the world is biscuit-shaped. . .

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.