Re: [unrev-II]MS exec: Open-source approach is flawed - ZDNet Discussion Zaplet

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 17:27:19 PDT

    Lee Iverson wrote:

    > And where does this claim come from? When has an open-source release
    > "killed an industry"?

    The difficulty with proving the proposition is the invisibility of the
    effect. Once, there were 20 different unix competitors. (That was not
    a good thing, mind you. The lack of standards was apalling.) Now, there
    is Linux and Solaris. Will others ever exist? It's hard to tell. It's
    *extremely* hard to identify how much work is not going on in a given
    area, due to the lack of ability to derive compensation from it.

    > A much better example is of an open source release "creating" an
    > industry cf. the Web. The Web exists today because Tim Berners-Lee
    > and the team at NCSA were committed to 1) simple, open standards, 2)
    > open source software, and 3) a *free* front end. An strong argument
    > can be made that these were the things that differentiated the 90's
    > WWW success from the failures of all previous hypertext efforts.

    That is a great example. It shows how great things can happen. But to
    whom does the browser industry now belong? To the only company that
    was actually making a profit at the time (and that from doing other
    things).

    How many browser competitors are there? How many tree-oriented browsers,
    XML-oriented browsers? How many of them are staffed to deliver a stable,
    professional-grade product, vs. a nice weekend hack that will never
    become much more than that?

    > There are definitely successful open source companies (Cygnus was one
    > and Codesourcery is another) that have very simple business models.
    > They develop and maintain open source software that other companies
    > depend on. The companies paying for the work get the advantage of
    > having a stable, centralized code base that they can direct the
    > development of with their dollars. Moreover, because other companies
    > are also paying to continue development, there is an economy of scale.
    >
    > With Apache, it is slightly different, in that the vast majority of
    > development (as I understand it) gets done in-house by various
    > companies who then feed the changes back into the open source code
    > base. As Brian Behlendorf argues, everybody wins with this model.
    > Most bugs get fixed quickly and fed back into the baseline code.
    > There is a substantial incentive to not branch, since so much work is
    > being done by others that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of if
    > you were to branch or hold a large codebase private.
    >
    > There *are* successful business models out there. Interestingly, they
    > are service-oriented and programmer-intensive. Seems just fine by me.

    Yes. The Cygnus example in particular points to the one case where
    open source *can* work. When you are selling a support to a company,
    who can easily justify the expense because it is making money, then
    the model can work. As I argued, it is consumer-grade products which
    really seem to fail with this model.

    I guess the lesson I would learn for the bootstrap project is to give
    client software away to promote the market, and charge good money to
    support the server side of the business!