Re: [unrev-II] "As We May Think", etc.

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 11:39:25 PDT

    Henry, Dennis,

    Thank you both.

    Very interesting point from Henry: Did Kant consider rationality to be free from culturally imbued mores?
    If I remember correctly (very hazy, too long ago, book not to-hand), Kant's Groundwork for a Metaphysic of Morals, the text that contains definition of the C.I., had to posit a being of ideal rationality that one should aspire to be like in order to motivate proper use of the C.I. itself. Since we're not ideal we should just try very hard (else God won't like us). Or something like that. Dennis seems to be more on the ball on that front so perhaps he can fill in the gaps more accurately.

    Just to complicate matters slightly, today I ran across a book:
    Kant on Freedom, Law and Happiness by Paul Guyer (distinguished Kant scholar, responsible for a series of the best translations going). The back cover blurb states that Guyer is arguing for a new interpretation of Kant's ethics implying that there is much more to Kant's ethics than just the C.I.. Wish I had the time/energy to read that one.

    Another one I spotted that I don't have time to read was:
    Metaphor in Context by Joseph Stern (distinguished Univ. of Chicago prof.)
    Blurb states that Prof. Stern has come up with an interpretation of metaphor that places it within existing semantic frameworks (contra the now apparently traditional view that metaphor didn't really fit in so it couldn't be handled).

    Here I would refer folks to another page on that site that Bernard Vatant pointed us to:
    http://www.uia.org/homemeta.htm
    Particularly interesting for me were the points about the use of metaphor in international debate as a means of facilitating universal understanding.

    There was also another book, containing scholarly discussion of professional ethics that looked interesting (but it was wrapped so I couldn't scan it there and then) called "Matters of Breath".

    All in the philosophy section, so not much handy code in those, I suspect.

    So, how does one build ethical augmentation into augmenting systems then? Or would that be a bad idea (unethical in itself, even?) ?
    And also, could there be ethical augmentation that uses metaphor to raise points of ethical controversy to common understanding, moving beyond cultural differences?
    And if I was augmented, what would become of the present relationship between intellect and morality?
    I'm really fired up by these questions.

    cheers,
    Peter