Re: [unrev-II] Open Source

From: Jeff Coffield (Jeffrey@DigitalSynergyInc.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 05:55:24 PDT

    md656 wrote:

    > Open sourcing, IMO, is a bad idea. Do you remember Unix? Unix was first
    > distributed with its source code. This let many developers change the code
    > to suit there needs, which led to huge number of incompatable versions of
    > Unix. Developing for Unix means nothing unless you specify which version of
    > Unix. This will happen to any project made to be open source.
    >
    > Mohammed

    I think the reason Unix evolved into many incompatible versions is that at the
    time
    the developers who worked on it on their own had no easy way to connect up
    their
    work like the Internet today and there were many companies paying for
    development
    that wanted the new features they paid for to only run on their own hardware so

    customers would become locked in to their product.

    Linux already is on a par with most other Unix versions, is leaving Microsoft
    in
    the dust and in a few years may even catch up and pass the large commercial
    OS's like MVS and VMS.

    Small business owners...
    Tell us what you think!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM