[unrev-II] Science Education Paradox

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:36:44 PDT

    http://www.techreview.com/magazine/sep01/reviews.asp

    "The United States by any conceivable measure has the finest scientists in
    the world. But the rest of the population, by any rational standard, is
    abysmally ignorant of science, mathematics and all things technical. That
    is the paradox of scientific elites and scientific illiterates: how can the
    same system of education that produced all those brilliant scientists also
    have produced all that ignorance?
    The situation is not merely paradoxical; it's downright perilous.We face an
    era that promises ever accelerating technological change in every aspect of
    our lives, while at the same time the very survival of our civilization may
    depend on our ability to make wise decisions about how to manage our
    resources, our climate and our conflicts. In the next century, we will need
    to be able to deal confidently with technical issues, and a responsible
    electorate will need to have some reasonable mastery of how the world works. "

    There's more...

    The electorate. Now, there's an OHS/DKR usecase if there ever was one...
    Cheers
    Jack

    Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
    DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/VihfLB/nT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM