[unrev-II] Nolan Bushnell on Games and education

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 09:48:32 PDT

    http://www.joystick101.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/9/8/163625/1339

    He has an interesting take on story telling, games, and education.

    I have thought all along that narrative games were a powerful way to engage
    learners in some activity. Bushnell says this:
    "by jccalhoun: What does he think about narrativity in gaming, since many
    of his games (if not all) cannot be said to have a real storyline.
    Nolan Bushnell: Well I think that there's movies in which it is all story
    and simple little trick games, where there's no story at all and the gamut
    in between. I think that storytelling in general can be hurt by gameplay,
    because one of the essence of a good story is losing yourself. When you put
    too much interactivity into it, you keep pushing the person into their own
    body, so they can be somewhat vicarious, but not as vicarious as they can
    be in full-immersion movies "

    Back to the drawing board?

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
    site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM