[unrev-II] CITRIS Connections: Kalil/Hughes/Hendricks/Mitola/Gilder; UWB-Cognitive Radio (Software-Defined Radio "It's more like a PC")

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@netzero.net)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 16:14:59 PDT

    The Universal Cell Phone
    Mobile phones work only in some areas, and they become obsolete rapidly,
    as new features are developed. Flexible software in phones and wireless
    networks could change all that.
    < http://www.technologyreview.com/magazine/apr01/shapley.asp >

    The technique is known to experts as software-defined radio, or SDR.
    ("Radio" refers here not to AM or FM, but to any equipment that
    communicates through the airwaves on radio frequencies, as cell phones
    do.) The advantage offered by this new approach is that it shifts the
    workload of wireless units from dedicated components to software that
    can be reprogrammed to work on a different standard or add applications.
    That's entirely different from today's mobile phones and base stations,
    in which virtually all signal processing is carried out by electronic
    circuitry designed to do one and only one thing.

    So equipment that sniffs out and utilizes unused swaths of spectrum
    could alleviate what the FCC calls the U.S. spectrum "drought."

    To do this, however, will require both base stations and handsets to
    become supersmart—a leap to what Joe Mitola calls "cognitive radio." A
    cognitive device will not only scan its spectral environment; it will
    also have built-in memory and maps and positioning capabilities. Those
    will enable it to react intelligently to its environment.

    Over the past two years, Mitola built a crude civilian version of a
    cognitive radio as a doctoral project for Sweden's Royal Institute of
    Technology. When this device is outdoors, it configures itself to use
    the prevailing cellular phone protocol; when carried indoors it switches
    to the format of the building's local area network. Mitola explains that
    a more advanced version could "know" that the person carrying it is in
    trouble and send a distress signal on the local emergency frequency to
    give rescuers its location.

    But mobile phones that reorient to a new channel for temporary use would
    have to get permission to "rent" that spectrum for some period of time
    from the official licensee. In a paper that foreshadowed his doctoral
    thesis, Mitola proposed a payment system that would employ the signal
    protocols (see "Wireless Rent-A-Channel"). Using such a system, your
    intelligent handheld would scan the spectrum to find a channel that was
    not in use at the moment; for example, it might find one that the local
    fire department had the license to use but was offering for rent. Your
    radio would bid to rent the channel. The fire department's radios,
    receiving the bid, could agree—or wait for other bids. But the instant
    the station's bells rang and the firemen needed their channel back,
    their radios would bump the renter off. Mitola reckons the channel's
    owner could regain control in 25 milliseconds—a delay that would be
    unnoticeable to human speakers. Your cognitive mobile phone would sign
    off, reckoning and paying a bill for time used, then start scanning for
    another open channel.

    The FCC, in endorsing this vision, has joined forces with an unlikely
    ally: George Gilder, self-styled seer of the "telecosm" and critic of
    the FCC for holding back innovation. For years, Gilder has predicted
    that intelligence will grow at the edges of the wireless telecom network
    with the result that channels become fluid. Wireless devices and
    networks that employ flexible software, he says, will "transform the
    entire world of wireless communications," the way personal computers
    transformed wired networks.

    The swaths of spectrum that are most commercially desirable are often
    referred to as prime beachfront property. But Gilder wants people to
    stop thinking of spectrum as some kind of
    ethereal analogue to physical land. "Smart radios suggest not a beach
    but the endless waves of the ocean itself. You can no more lease
    electromagnetic waves than you can lease ocean waves."

    Making that ocean available to billions of people could be one impact of
    flexible software-based wireless networks. But even before we reach this
    nirvana of spectrum abundance, the technology could make wireless
    networks more cost effective and future-proof—and keep the wireless
    revolution rolling.

    Relavent comments from an UWB-Cognitive Radio advocate, Dave Hughes - a
    pioneer of wireless communications and a tireless crusader for universal
    access to the Internet. Dave is currently working on an NSF grant in the
    El Yunque Rain Forest of Puerto Rico, developing ways for field
    scientists to wirelessly retrieve and access data collected at remote
    locations via the Internet.
    < http://www.dandin.com/pdf/Dandin_Chronicles_2.5.pdf >

    Biological Science by Wireless Projects <
    http://wireless.oldcolo.com/biology/projectplan.htm >