[unrev-II] Interaction Patterns WAS: Re: [unrev-II] Fwd: Re: [vims] A few small things ...

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 13:14:21 PDT

    Found this page off of Tom Erickson's site
    http://www.pliant.org/personal/Tom_Erickson/InteractionPatterns.html

    "This page contains information about resources related to pattern languages
    for interaction design (of which user interface design is a subset), and a
    few links to more general papers that may be of use to interaction
    designers. I also include some links to organizational design patterns,
    which I find hard to disentangle from interaction design. Interested parties
    should also see Jan Borcher's HCI patterns page. Those interested in other
    uses of pattern languages should see the Patterns Home Page, which is the
    most comprehensive source of information, and also Brad Appleton's Software
    Patterns Links."

    With interesting ones like:
    "Patterns of a Conservation Economy. While most would not see this as an
    example of interaction design (though I do, albeit at a very high level), it
    is such a lovely example of both content and form, as well as illustrating
    one approach to trying to make a pattern language a participatory entity,
    that I can't resist including it here. This pattern language includes about
    80 patterns for the Pacific Northwest bioregion, aimed at supportinga
    sustainable economy. Patterns include Ecological Literacy, Celebration of
    Place, Eco-Forestry, Mixed Housing Types, and Adaptive Re-Use and Infill."

    "Patterns and Pattern Languages for Organizational Design, by Jim Coplien
    Describes patterns underlying successful projects and uses them to establish
    organizational structures and practices that improve the prospects for
    success in a new software development organization. Examples of process
    patterns include Size the Schedule, Scenarios Define Problem, and Don't
    Interrupt and Interrupt; examples of organizational structure patterns
    include Self-selecting Team, Architect Also Implements, and Mercenery
    Analyst. "

    "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me: Patterns for Developing Effective
    Concept Prototypes, by Carol Stimmel
    This collection of eight patterns tarkgets developers and managers who are
    involved in creating and demonstrating concept prototypes. Example patterns
    include Use It and Lose It, Engage the Client Early, and One Way Street.
    Notable for its witty choice of pictures... "

    Etc.

    Cheers,
    Peter