Re: [unrev-II] Recommendations??

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@netzero.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 04:16:42 PDT

    E.g., Your EIC article about a proposed Interplanetary Internet from Vinton Cerf. His document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with all
    provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026:

    Interplanetary Internet (IPN): Architectural Definition
    < http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-ipnrg-arch-00.txt >

    The IPN is related to JPL's Sensor Web Pods technology and NASA/JPL's Wireless Sensors Systems on a Chip Advanced Analysis that I'm hoping to test among
    other important wireless sensors like Digital Angel Sensors, once I establish an off-campus CITRIS testbed.
    < http://sensorwebs.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/sensorweb-concept.pdf >
    < http://stday.msfc.nasa.gov/presentations/IVHM3.pdf >
    < http://www.digitalangel.net/products/index.htm >
    < http://www.digitalangel.net/da/tech.htm >

    Henry K van Eyken wrote:

    > Eugene.
    >
    > Dumb me. What are RFCs? Just guessing: Recommeded For Consideration?
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
    >
    > > I'd make two recommendations. I think it's great that people send out
    > > interesting links and articles, and while I agree with Eric that it's
    > > fairly overwhelming on this list, I think that's fine. If you have the
    > > time to follow the link and discover something useful in the process, more
    > > power to you. If you don't have time to follow the links, you're no worse
    > > off than you were before.
    > >
    > > I do think that we can do a better job of organizing the links from
    > > archived e-mails in a useful way. One solution, which has nice synergy
    > > with OHS development, is to create a localized back-link database from all
    > > of the e-mails posted to this list. The result would be something similar
    > > to the DayPop site that Alex brought to our attention (which,
    > > incidentally, I think is brilliant).
    > >
    > > To address Eric's main gripe, however, I'd propose a non-technical
    > > solution that, ironically enough, has its roots in Doug's lab 30 years
    > > ago: RFCs. If you'd like to bring something to people's attentions, just
    > > post it to the list. If you'd really like people to pay attention to
    > > something, put together an RFC.
    > >
    > > In the past few years, many open source communities have adopted this
    > > practice. In the Tcl community, all sorts of people would post all sorts
    > > of ideas and recommendations about features and so forth, and it was
    > > impossible for Ousterhout and others to treat all of these ideas equally.
    > > So the community developed TIPs -- Tcl Improvement Proposals.
    > >
    > > If you want to propose a feature, you write a TIP, and submit it. If
    > > accepted, the TIP gets assigned an ID, and is published under version
    > > control. There is a format for writing TIPs, and a procedure for
    > > discussing and voting on TIPs. TIPs are a wonderful mechanism for
    > > focusing attention and separating the wheat from the chaff. It's a good
    > > example of using formalisms when you're ready to use them.
    > >
    > > Other open source communities have adopted this practice, to good effect.
    > > Perl 6 development is a wonderful example of these RFC-style proposals in
    > > action.
    > >
    > > I think that we can use RFCs in our own community to good effect. For
    > > instance, many people in our community (including myself) believe that we
    > > should use a Groves-like architecture for the OHS. Jack has proposed an
    > > XTM-style API for manipulating information in the OHS. Other people have
    > > made very legitimate proposals, but the attention that these proposals
    > > have attracted has varied.
    > >
    > > I think the best way to draw more serious attention to these types of
    > > proposals is for their advocates to put together RFCs. We could appoint a
    > > librarian and develop our own procedures for creating, submitting, and
    > > discussing RFCs, modeled closely after other communities' procedures.

> [...]

    Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
    Only $9.95 per month!

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM