[unrev-II] Re: More on the GPL License

From: leei@ai.sri.com
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 11:07:05 PDT

    --- In unrev-II@y..., Jack Park <jackpark@t...> wrote:

    > If I recall rightly, Mozilla recently dual-licensed their software.
     This,
    > it seems to me, allows programmers to decide if they want their
    stuff to
    > work with GPL (whoops! GNU GPL) and thus give up any proprietary
    claims on
    > their work, or, to not work with GNU GPL and retain the opportunity
    to have
    > closed source extensions to some other software (read: software
    other than
    > that licensed under GNU GPL).
    >
    > This whole area of licensing gets interesting. Surf the web for
    software
    > and you will routinely find whole projects that, when downloaded as a
    > package, include chunks of software licensed under most all licenses,
    > including GPL. But, the GPL license seems to forbid such combinations.

    Actually, the Mozilla code base is now *triple-licensed*. You can
    choose which of NPL 1.1, GPL 2.0 or LGPL 2.1 is appropriate for your
    Mozilla-derived project. Removes all of the FSF's objections.

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM