[unrev-II] What Now?

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 07:42:57 PDT

    http://www.edge.org/documents/whatnow.html

    An excerpt:

    The ever-counterintuitive Kevin Kelly, during a telephone conversation,
    explained to me his idea that this is not a hi-tech war at all but that the
    entire operation was low-tech (plastic knives, box cutters, etc.). No spy
    satellites for these guys, and no possibility than an $80 billion
    expenditure on a star wars defense would have had any deterrent effect
    whatsoever.
    I wrote the following to the list: "I believe that the Edge community can
    mount a serious conversation about the catastrophic events of the past week
    that might do some good. Within the community is invaluable expertise in
    many pertinent areas, not to mention the intelligence that the "Edgies" can
    bring to the subjects. I am interested "hard-edge" comments, derived from
    empirical results or experience specific to the expertise of the
    participant. Edge is not the proper venue for people to vent their
    justified rage at the acts of terrorism, displeasure with the
    administration, U.S. Mid-East policies, etc. But it is the right venue for
    an informed, intelligent commentary."
    "So how about a new Edge question: WHAT NOW?"

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM