RE: [unrev-II] Digest Number 575

From: Frode Hegland (frode@liquidinformation.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 07:53:05 PST

    Hi all.
    Please, please do not quote messages in their entirety when replying (as
    I am doing now to illustrate).

    1) It makes messages harder to read.

    2) There becomes too much information to digest.

    3) Anyone accesping their email from a hand held will be seriously bogged
    down.

    I know I sound like a stuck up prune, but we have to work on organizing
    information on the autoring level as well as with all the OHS and related
    technologies downstream. Replying to an email is part of the authoring
    process.

    >Community email addresses:
    >Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
    >Subscribe: unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
    >
    >Shortcut URL to this page:
    >http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II
    >
    >There is 1 message in this issue.
    >
    >Topics in this digest:
    >
    >1. Reintroduction...
    >From: Rod Welch

    >Message: 1
    >Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 20:51:36 -0800
    >From: Rod Welch
    >Subject: Reintroduction...
    >
    >Lee,
    >
    >Thanks for for letting us all know in your letter on November 1 that you
    have >relocated to Vancouver B.C. I have found memories of that area from
    having >thrown a touchdown pass there many, many moons ago, and then very
    many years >later presenting a paper on POIMS at a professional event.
    Coming from >California my image of Vancouver B.C. was of a cold,
    backwater locale; but, of >course it is a real jewel of the Pacific, very
    much like San Francisco in the >richness of culture and opportunity.

    >Now, you, Alison and young Maxwell will be adding to those riches, while
    >continuing to pursue your breakthrough work with NODAL advancing Doug
    >Engelbart's goals for an OHS/DKR. You will be greatly missed at SRI,
    especially >excellent work organizing and contributing cogent ideas and
    expertise during the >meetings.

    >Thanks again for the reintroduction, relating you are settling in under
    >convenient arrangements for family and work. Look forward to your
    continuing >help with OHS/DKR as you advance NODAL, and of course best
    wishes in your new >career.

> [...]
    >> bunch of kids to play with in our apartment complex) and is busy
    >> making every effort to learn how to read. Alison has been busy
    >> writing grant proposals and teaching a (can you believe this) a
    >> hands-on nursing skills lab for this first semester. The only thing
    >> that can really be said is that almost anything else will be easier.
    >> But she is generally pretty excited and exhausted.
    >>
    >> Comes to me, I guess. The plan when I left SRI was that I would
    >> continue to work on a part time basis on existing projects and any new
    >> opportunities that came up. Seemed like a fine idea at the time and I
    >> actually spent the last two weeks in CA writing a proposal for
    >> continuation of some of the Digital Earth work. To make a long story
    >> short, that arrangement hasn't worked out. The AIC is in a pretty
    >> deep financial hole, progress in getting money out of Washington
    >> drastically slowed down in September, and a big NSF proposal that we
    >> submitted in February was just rejected. I'm still officially on
    >> leave, but it does seem as if my time with SRI is really pretty much
    >> over.
    >>
    >> That said, I haven't been sitting on my hands. I've been doing a lot
    >> of reading, research and coding. I'm continuing work on the NODAL
    >> design and prototype(s) (see http://nodal.sf.net if you're curious)
    >> and been making a lot of contacts here in town. At this point, I've
    >> submitted applications to both UBC (Dept. of Elec. and Computer Eng.)
    >> and SFU (CS). I've been in contact with a number of local companies,
    >> given a couple of talks, and established a relationship with the New
    >> Media Innovation Centre (an brand-new kind of Media Lab Canada). In
    >> fact last week I had a very productive visit with the CS Dept. at SFU,
    >> on Tuesday I had a full day interview for a faculty position at UBC,
    >> and yesterday a sit down with NewMIC executives regarding funding and
    >> interaction opportunities. So, I'm actively moving forward and things
    >> are actually looking pretty good. With the kind of work I'm
    >> interested in doing, I'm pretty happy at the possibility of a faculty
    >> position and the people I've met up here, both in industrial and
    >> academic settings, have been very interesting and (luckily)
    >> interested.
    >>
    >> All that said, we had a blast on Halloween yesterday and all three of
    >> us were complemented on our costumes and willingness to get right out
    >> there. I was a red-headed, kilted Viking, Alison a biker chick and
    >> Maxwell a mischievous little monkey (a real stretch). Pictures will
    >> have to follow, I imagine.
    >>
    >> So, I'm ready to re-engage with the world now, and am becoming a
    >> little desperate for some good, stimulating conversation both online
    >> and in person. Anyone interested in visiting, please feel welcome.
    >> The ski hills will be opening soon and the golf courses stay open all
    >> winter. And since we've found a willing baby sitter now (not to
    >> mention the relative proximity of my relatives), some of the night

    ----- >> Lee Iverson >> leei@telus.net #105-2700 Acadia Rd., Vancouver
    B.C. V6T >> 1R9
    >> http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/ (604) 222-9312
    >>
    >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor