[unrev-II] A Small Quiz with Big Ideas

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:55:06 PST

    Henry,

    I greatly enjoyed your write up on Doug Engelbart's background and objective for
    using technology to leverage human cognition, also, described as augmenting
    intelligence.....

    http://www.fleabyte.org/#8

    In particular throwing a few anchors in the record expedites communication and
    analysis, as Doug requested in his letter on 001025....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/10/25/095632.HTM#L871202

    More attention is needed, however, to solve the "people" problem Jack Park
    raised on 010908 relative to enabling Doug's vision for a new way of working and
    thinking, since leveraging cognition expands span of attention, and this
    initially boggles the mind, noted by Eric Armstrong on 000125. Doug has found
    since his letter on 001025 that people resist a new way of working due to
    ignorance, fear and denial, saying its overkill, not enough time, not enough
    diligence, until and unless they get experience to discover that working
    intelligently saves time and money because it is fast, easy and fun. Resistance
    to gaining experience using intelligence presents and innovation loop, also, KM
    dilemma. A recent letter to team on 011025 called on support by experienced
    educators, like you, to help us through the difficult transition from an
    information age to a culture of knowledge using continual learning....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/61/01/10/2901.HTM#BQ5K

    Absent rallying toward a culture of knowledge by our experienced, senior people,
    it is difficult to see at this remove how the rest of us can muster the wisdom
    to give up the addiction of information and games enabled by IT to escape the
    pandora's box of numbing complexity that dominates the current scene, noted by
    Eric Armstrong in his letter on 011003. Education is the arena for helping
    people discover that a new way of working "intelligently" is the only solution
    to Eric's problem. You may recall, that Jack Park reported not having even a
    clue for a solution, despite having submitted a great many clues over the past
    two years. This is another big warning that IT overwhelms memory, which is the
    core engine of human reasoning, as shown by research on 900319, and earlier on
    900303. In fact, if memory serves, you have addressed this from time to time,
    noting that people are incapacitated by recalling only 5% of the gist of
    things. This seems to work okay, until the critical mass of too many people
    having too many problems explodes under the compounding effect of meaning drift
    noted by Aristotle in 400 BC, as occurred recently on 010911, and reported
    earlier on 001207. Newer reports on 011031 and again on 01102 that job losses
    have shot up to levels not seen in two decades, further warns that people are
    weighed down, frustrated and hurting, as Eric cried out on 011003.

    So, education, as you are enabling with Fleabyte, is a critical ingredient.

    Keep up the good work.

    You might want to double check the excellent explanation of Fleabyte
    fundamentals at....

    http://www.fleabyte.org/#9

    ...which may have a small error in.....

    "Fleabyte is my term of endearment for the pocket computer or, for that matter,
    any programmable computer that one can carry one the person as commfortably...."

    The section on "Logs that Fit"....

    http://www.fleabyte.org/#96

    ...in my view is a very useful for addressing the urgent need to maintain
    alignment with fundamentals. It is well to work with technology, like a log
    table, that speeds consistent accuracy, yet there remains a profound need for
    people to build paths back to original understanding, within the meaning of
    religion explained in NWO...

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/03/02/03/0309.HTM#4723

    Recently, Leon Fuerth gave an insightful lecture at George Washington
    University, broadcast by CSPAN. Fuerth was formerly Vice President Gore's
    national security advisor, and was lecturing on threats of the future, e.g.,
    events on 010911. He discussed dangers that come with exploiting opportunities
    from gaining control over lower levels of organic structure, focusing on nano
    technology. Fuerth ended his remarks with a perspective on religion that
    encompasses the role of technology within a framework of philosophy for living
    as individuals, and as members of community (e.g., family, school, work,
    neighbors, friends, city, state, nation, culture). Mr. Fuerth seemed to
    indicate that without a sound framework, no meaningful progress can occur on
    moving beyond information technology. We will be stuck forever, until and
    unless we look deeper than the notion of information, and grasp the spectacle of
    knowledge.

    So, my recommendation to solve Eric's dilemma on 011003 asking for a better way
    of analyzing daily working information is to start anew with fundamentals of
    information from knowledge. This will lead to a new way of working that Doug
    wants to strengthen handling of daily working information, through a process of
    "intelligence" that is carried out as continual learning that links back to
    critical details illustrated by your excellent work on Fleabyte, discussed
    above. Jack Park submitted this clue in his letter on 001130, supporting
    earlier clues you submitted on 000926. Putting all of the clues together, along
    with recent work by Eugene, Al, Lee, Peter and Paul's ideas will yield the
    answer. However, after you get it, there will still be the "people" problem
    that worried Jack, which I fear only education can address within the realm of
    religion, as pointed out by Leon Fuerth in his remarks at George Washington
    University. For that, we need clues on engaging an educator.

    Thanks very much for sticking with us on the OHS/DKR effort. Though progress
    sometimes takes two steps back and only one step forward, all hands are needed
    for this task.

    Happy holidays.

    Rod

    **********************

    Henry K van Eyken wrote:

    > The first item in today's Fleabyte < http://www.fleabyte.org/#90 > is a
    > small quiz for the techically savvy.
    >
    > I would appreciate honest efforts at answering the question - to help me
    > learn what the editorial judgment on this subject ought to be.
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
    > [Choose from 1000s of job listings!]
    >
    > Choose from 1000s of job listings!