Re: [ba-ohs-talk] TouchGraph used on backlink DB

Hi Alex,    (01)

comments below...    (02)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Shapiro" <alex@touchgraph.com>
To: <ba-ohs-talk@bootstrap.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 1:03 AM
Subject: Re: [ba-ohs-talk] TouchGraph used on backlink DB    (03)

(Ugh! I've just noticed how my mail client quotes replies without including
the header data. Rot. Wonder if there's a setting I can change?)    (04)

> Nice, I am surprised to see how simple that was.  For some reason it
seemed
> like a more involved process "on paper".
>
> Too bad about the long node names.  The new version has node id's (which
> are strings), as well as labels, so minor changes to the code below would
> yield nicer node names.  Which gives me an idea...
>
> As long as we are hacking, why not change the line
>       String firststr = line.substring(0, midspace-1);
>       String firststr = line.substring(line.indexOf("msg"), midspace-1);
> or
>       String firststr = line.substring(line.indexOf("ba-"), midspace-1);
> to avoid confusion between the two lists.    (05)

Yes, good idea. I was heading there next. ;-)    (06)

> I wonder how useful the results of such a visualization would be,
> though.  The advantage that Wiki's like Langreaiter.com has over email
> lists, is that any time a concept is mentioned it automatically gets a
> hyperlink.  The backlink DB however, only contains explicit
> hyperlinks.  So, in the case where one replies to an annoucement of a link
> without including the link itself ( for instance, this email lack(ed) a
> link to the backlink database http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/backlinks.txt
> ) A connection would not be made between the reply and the original post.    (07)

Yes, I do think this particular visualization is only part of the story.    (08)

Was fun to play with the TG GraphLayout library though.    (09)

--
Cheers,
Peter    (010)