RE: [ba-ohs-talk] New backlink metadata; mhpurple v0.2 released

-----Original Message-----
From: Eugene Eric Kim    (01)

 I'd like to propose a slight rephrasing of the problem expressed here.
We don't need purple numbers to make e-mail granularly addressable.  The
problem is that we don't have standards for addressing e-mail granularly,
nor the tools that implement these standards.    (02)

I could write a program that used the following convention for granular
addressability:    (03)

  mid:MIEJJJFBHJEBDEKGPHOPIEENCNAA.dynalt@dynalt.com#lines(23-34)    (04)

No purple numbers necessary.  It just says, address lines 23-34 of the
e-mail with the given message ID.  The problem is, for this to be useful,
we need to standardize an addressing scheme, and build tools that support
it.  Designing data models and metamodeling languages, and building tools
that support them, are some of the fundamental challenges of this group.    (05)

-Eugene    (06)

--    (07)

The only problem is that this is only a rephrasing. The problem remains
unchanged in that we need to be able to get support for *some* granular
addressing system into the mix at a point where it is visible to all.
Whether the implementation is purple numbers in HTML referencing a static
copy in an archive of HTML or a specially marked up wiki style text with a
textarea editor that labeled the nodes and specialized software to turn the
node ids into a browse able link, it seems that the problem is the same.
I would settle for any markup system at all that allowed nodes to be labeled
in email as the email was created and then allowed links to be created and
followed to other emails.
Since HTML email gives some people gas, I am certainly willing to use some
other system that relies only on straight text. What do we need - an email
client, a browser plugin, a standalone program that interprets references as
links as some outliners do? I'm all for it, when do we start?    (08)

Thanks,    (09)

Garold (Gary) L. Johnson    (010)