[ba-ohs-talk] Virtual XML Documents

http://xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/13/sablotron.html    (01)

"We have so far considered interfaces as a way to deal with parsed trees
stored in memory, but we can envision an interface to structures other than
an in-memory tree. An XML processor can be made to register a handler
providing user-defined functions of its internal interface. This handler
would then be recognized as an external analogy to a parsed XML document.
We need not care about its real nature; as long as there is an interface
defined via callback functions, we are able to process the virtual document
in a manner similar to the internal ones. The processor design requires one
more thin layer to be defined -- each task must be expressed in terms of
generalized interface functions, calling either internal functions for
internal documents or the handler functions for external documents. Given
the complete functionality of the processor implemented using the
generalized interface, we are then able to involve data managed by external
handlers in XPath, XSLT, XQuery, and DOM operations, and so on. Even DOM
access to virtual documents from XSLT extension functions is possible in
principle."    (02)

This article suggests a way to implement an IFile-Transcoder for a HyperScope.    (03)

Jack    (04)