[ba-ohs-talk] Network bookkeeping system and OHS/DKR

Pat,    (01)

Per our discussion today, below is the letter to Tom Munnecke at SAIC
which relates time and cost savings from using the method Doug
requested for improving engineering management in his letter on 001025
concerning the OHS/DKR Launch Plan. This issue was reviewed recently
on 020723....    (02)

http://www.welchco.com/04/00067/61/02/07/2301.HTM#0001      (03)

...and so may be sufficiently fresh in everyone's mind to follow the
discussion on the advantage of linking the record, as you and I
discussed today.    (04)

Tom's interest in network bookkeeping seems, also, related to OHS/DKR
objectives for open source efforts, and so the letter says a copy was
submitted to Doug's group, but I goofed and did not send the copy on
020726, so am doing so now.    (05)

Thanks again for taking the time to meet.  I will get something back
to you in the next day or so.  In the meantime, happy traveling.    (06)

Rod    (07)
--- Begin Message ---
Tom,    (01)

Responding to your letter on 020725, shown below, it helps to get a
link to the record for context in responding to inquires.  Click on
the double dots showing an explicit link and copy the address from the
location bar, then paste it to your letter.  It only takes a second
and this small investment saves a lot of time and money for others to
understand communication and take appropriate action.  It greatly
increases the chances of getting a response by lowering the level of
effort.    (02)

For example, today, it took about 90 seconds to get the records you
seem to have in mind.  However, that entailed interpretation, and then
looking up a subject and calling a report.  What if I made a mistake
interpreting what you said, the time could have doubled, tripled or
worse, taken up to 5 minutes. Some people might have said, "Hey, I
don't have five seconds, to do a favor, must less 5 minutes, and as a
result, just give up because it is too hard to find anything, as
reported on 011003....    (03)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/10/03/160603.HTM#EC5N    (04)

...and earlier on 010916...    (05)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/09/16/213549.HTM#KA6H    (06)

If you had supplied a link, as shown below, it would have taken only
one second or maybe 2 or 4 seconds, if the system is slow today.
That's within the worse case scenario for even the laziest,
inconsiderate, apathetic interlocutor to respond.  In addition, look
at the cost savings of 900%, 450% or 250% at worst.  Any way you look
at it, multiplied across the nation of people looking things up,
that's a lot of savings, particularly when combined with the cost of
fixing mistakes when people just go by the gist of things, because
they don't have time to find the correct information.    (07)

Some people say nobody cares about cost savings because they get paid
the same whether they work intelligently or not.  But, eventually, as
waste and mistakes build up a critical mass is reached and suddenly
there is no job, like at Enron, Worldcom, etc.       (08)

On the substance of your letter, Dan Palanza has done important work
on network bookkeeping shown for example in the record on 990706....    (09)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/07/10/094631.HTM#LF5I    (010)

Dan explained his ideas in more detail in a letter on 990804...    (011)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/08/04/085204.HTM#0001    (012)

Recently, application of this method may arise in open source and
"free" software development, and in various new models proposed for
example by Jack Park on 020522 discussing micropayments, which implies
rigorous accounting.  By copy, I am letting Jack know of your interest
in this matter.    (013)

Also, providing a copy to OHS/DKR group who has been looking into ways
to use technology for improving knowledge work.    (014)

You may be able to reach Dan at the email address shown above.    (015)

Rod    (016)

> Tom Munnecke wrote:
>
> I noticed Dan Palanza’s network bookkeeping paper on your web site…
> very interesting stuff…
>
> I am interested in the notion of transformational information
> systems… any updates to this paper?
>
> Tom Munnecke.    (018)
--- End Message ---