Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Re: Semantic web meta data

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Murray Altheim wrote:    (01)

> This is the premise of the W3C's Semantic Web effort. I was fortunate
> enough to sit in on a session at ICCS last year where Terry Winograd
> (to my mind) demolished the idea of such widespread use of metadata.    (02)

Do you have a reference to a transcript or summary of this?    (03)

> As you might guess, I don't believe in global ontologies. They'd be
> bad for the blood, bad for mental diversity, bad for thinking, just
> bad to the bone. Now that doesn't mean I'm down on ontologies in
> general. I'm all for grass roots, people-created, disagree'in,
> confused and impossible-to-merge ontologies, which, like it or not,
> are what we're going to get *anyway*. Ontologies are by nature local,
> personal, time-, context- and domain-specific. Our vision of the world
> is not static, nor formed from one person's (or one group's) mind.    (04)

*back benchers rumble in approval*    (05)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/
"If you assume that there is an instinct for freedom, that there are