Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Fixed ideas and polarization

A fine opine, as always.    (01)

> When we look at a combination of pre-science mindset with fixed ideas and a
> polarized area of discussion, we have the sort of socio-political component
> that makes problems complex. There is no possibility of investigating the
> problem because all those involved are operating on fixed ideas and are thus
> impervious to reason, and their goal is the pre-science one of dominion over
> the judgments of others rather than dominion over things.    (02)

Let's invert that. Do complex problems result in socio-political attitudes?
I think the fact that humans cannot have complete information says that they
must.
(Another fixed idea?)
Is that a bad thing? Perhaps not as long as there is appropriate representation
of the views in the 'solving' process.
Is there time to do that properly? Not often.
I would argue that complex problems will not (by definition) yield to argument
or insight overnight, and that in reality the best we can (or ought) do is
wobble towards the most harmless 'non-solution' _with tremendous persistence_.    (03)

--
Peter    (04)