[ba-ohs-talk] Fwd: [K-Logs] Innovations in K-Log news aggregation

I think that this post from John Robb opens up a bunch of new threads for
thinking about implementations of structures necessary to support DKRs.    (01)

>From: "John Robb" <jrobb@userland.com>
>
>Dear K-Loggers,
>
>The floodgates to news subscriptions are increasingly swinging
>wide.  Since, news subscriptions and syndication are an important part of
>the rapidly evolving world of K-Logs I thought I would keep you up to date
>on some important recent developments.
>
>A little background.  K-Log tools automatically produce newsfeeds for your
>weblog when you publish it.  These feeds can be identified by a small
>orange "xml" icon like this:
>
><http://www.scripting.com/images/xmlIcon2.gif>http://www.scripting.com/imag
>es/xmlIcon2.gif
>
>Radio offers a two-click simplified subscription icon that is on tens of
>thousands of weblogs.  It looks like this (if Radio is running on your
>desktop, clicking this icon will automatically take you to the
>subscription page in Radio):
>
><http://jrobb.userland.com/images/xmlCoffeeCup.gif>http://jrobb.userland.co
>m/images/xmlCoffeeCup.gif
>
>So, immediately everyone that publishes a K-Log, whether on an Intranet or
>on the Internet, becomes a syndicated source (it's pretty funny that the
>technology needed to do this three years ago cost tens of thousands of
>$$).  Other people in the company subscribe to it if they are running a
>K-Log tool.  This is the basis for Knowledge networks where all the most
>recent happenings are automatically aggregated into a single news page for
>easy scanning.  Additionally, integration of news aggregation with
>publishing in a K-Log tool makes it very easy to add an annotation to an
>interesting news item and publish it to your own K-Log.
>
>Up until recently, finding commercial sources of news on a wide variety of
>sources has been difficult (despite significant efforts).  Here is a
>compilation of commercial sources I compiled a week or so ago (clicking on
>the small mug with Radio running will allow you subscribe):
>
><http://jrobb.userland.com/stories/2002/09/03/professionalNewsFeeds.html>ht
>tp://jrobb.userland.com/stories/2002/09/03/professionalNewsFeeds.html
>
>However, things have happened that have made it much easier to find
>news.  A quiet announcement by Yahoo Finance that they have built a
>newsfeed for news on public companies.  The form of the newsfeed comes in
>is a standard format that looks like this (this one is for Microsoft = MSFT ):
>
><http://rss.finance.yahoo.com/rss/get?ticker=MSFT>http://rss.finance.yahoo.
>com/rss/get?ticker=MSFT
>
>To use this feed, all you need to do is copy and paste this URL into your
>K-Log's subscription area.  To change the feed to gather news on stocks
>you are interested in, all you need to do is change the ticker
>symbol.  For example, change MSFT (for Microsoft) to YHOO (for Yahoo) etc.
>
>Much more on the way.  This is starting to get exciting.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>John Robb
><http://jrobb.userland.com>http://jrobb.userland.com    (02)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (03)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (04)