RE: [ba-ohs-talk] ClaiMaker

>You never fail to amaze me.  Just visited your ibis page.  I did something
>similar with topic maps. Here is the paper
>http://www.thinkalong.com/JP/ParkKT2001.pdf    (01)

Be amazed if I ever do anything original ;-)  I hadn't seen this paper
before (looks good), but I was aware that you'd done some work in this area
thanks to your book, amongst other things. The route that lead me there was
quite interesting though: [machine-friendly RDF] -> [user-friendly RDF] ->
[RSS] -> [discussions] -> [IBIS] -> [index of the XTM book]    (02)

>I think that when we are able to write a merge routine for rdfs, then the
>prime benefit of xtm will no longer exist.    (03)

I'm pretty sure the merging's doable now, even though a consensus on any
single approach is unlikely. The ultimate way I suppose would be to
inference using layers on top (e.g. DAML+OIL/OWL), but there's quite a bit
of hacking going on for cruder forms of 'smushing'.
I'm still only getting my head around TMs, but I don't think it's just the
novelty (to me) of them that suggests there are a lot of other potential
benefits.    (04)

>Too bad our business models are not in synch; we could/should be
>collaborating.    (05)

Well, I reckon there is quite a nice angle to that - somewhere between where
we and others are and whatever the specific goals are, there's a nice big
open space of interoperability, and it's a shared space...expect the sound
of cogs meshing ;-)    (06)

btw, I'm glad in a purely selfish way that the Semantic Web ideas haven't
been particularly pounced on by the big companies (yet), as there's still a
vast amount of low-hanging fruit, from an intellectual point of view
anyway - the commercial side remains to be seen (I do keep bumping into
people while gathering...). The downside of this situation is it really
shows up the limits of my programming skills - I just can't keep up!    (07)

Cheers,
Danny.    (08)

PS. Strongly recommended to one & all :    (09)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web
by Jack Park (Editor), Sam Hunting (Editor), Douglas C. Engelbart    (010)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201749602/qid%3D1036176130/sr%3D11-1
/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-3499619-4966466    (011)